General Social Studies Sites
Black American History
- Geo Teacher's Geography Classroom Different sections designed for teachers, students, and their parents. Cultural geography sites for just about every country.
- GeoBee Challenge Online Five new quiz questions are posted every day.
- Geography From Enchanted Learning
- Geography World Features a large collection of resources and links for teachers and students of all levels. It covers topics such as erosion, ecosystems, populations, and conservation.
- GeoNet Game From Houghton Mifflin
- National Geographic's "Xpeditions" This site boasts interactive maps, tours and activities, as well as U.S. Geography teaching standards.
- Owl & Mouse Software Interactive U.S. and World Geography maps to download as well as printable materials for classroom use. Free resources for teachers and parents.
- Quia Geography
Civilwar.com An online collection of Civil War timelines, documents such as soldiers' diaries and the Gettysburg Address, descriptions of battles, and links to other Civil War resources.
Colonial Williamsburg A very good resource on colonial America, in this case focusing on Williamsburg, Virginia. Lots of resources: teachers' guide, text and images, discussion board, activities, and more.
- Eyewitness History This site takes a look at major events in history through the eyes of eyewitnesses, using personal letters and essays, from the Ancient World to the present.
- Library of Congress Offers access to key documents, films, photographs, and sound recordings of our nation's history.
- The American Memory: Historical Collections from the National Digital Library Images, articles, and more are archived at this site.
- Today in History
- U.S. National Archives and Records Administration Digital Classroom Historical documents, virtual tours, and other materials.
- 50 States This online database is a great starting point for finding basic information about each state.
- Interactive Tour of Ellis Island From Scholastic.
PBS: American Field Guide Tour the American countryside and explore ecosystems, art, history, public policy, and more. Over 1200 video clips along with transcripts take visitors on adventures around the country.
- U.S. Census Bureau Here you can find state and country facts.
Africa This PBS site is great for students of all levels to learn about Africa. This page has lots of insightful ideas for teachers as well. Students can enjoy playing "Africa Challenge".
China Today Learn about the world's most populous nation and its fascinating and ancient culture. This English-language site explores the culture, politics, and geography of China.
- CIA World Factbook One of the most comprehensive on-line geography sources. Extensive information on every country and territory in the world--from A to Z.
- Country Watch An absolute must for any teacher of current events, politics, social studies, and economics.
- Forum Romanum Take a look at the complete Roman History. It has a virtual tour of the city, a historical index, biographies, mythology, and more.
- Global Trek From Scholastic
- Habitat for Humanity International
- Index of Native American Resources Find out about the culture, history, art, and more of Native American Indians.
- Kids Web Japan Introduce kids to Japanese history, culture, religion, geography, government, and more.
- Let's Go Around the World Very informative global exploration site. Take online adventures to the Amazon Rainforest, Africa, and the Canadian Arctic. Includes teacher resources.
Languages (The main focus here is French)